The Tulsa Youth Rowing Association are looking for 7/8th grade and high school-aged athletes to join their competitive program. The team regularly competes on the national level and our athletes are also successful in gaining college scholarships at universities all over the US. The team will be hosting summer camps in July and August to allow participants to try rowing for the first time.
Who & What? The Tulsa Youth Rowing Association (TYRA) 3 weekly summer camps are open to all 7th through 12th grade student athletes. In past years, our summer camps included on the water instruction. The current pandemic environment has set in motion the changes to this summer’s camp breakdown. These changes will allow the opportunity for a fun and challenging experience while maintaining US Rowing guidelines regarding COVID19.
The Tulsa Youth Rowing Association RowingSTEM camp is geared toward student-athletes with an interest in STEM in addition to learning the fundamentals of rowing on Concept2 ergometers.
Participants will engage in a five-day camp that will provide instruction on how to use rowing machines. At the point when these fundamentals are learned the camp will provide various enrichment activities that involve the gROW Tulsa RowingSTEM curriculum. This curriculum has been developed so that students can use the data collected by the rowing machine to learn about science and mathematical concepts in areas such as graphing, data analysis, biomechanics, accuracy and precision, and the application of physics as it relates to rowing.
The camp will use our mobile app RowingSTEM to collect data and provide an environment for learning. The app is currently available for iOS and Android devices. For those athletes without access to a mobile device, TYRA will have a few on hand during camp hours or printed material can be provided. By the end of the camp, students will have the fundamentals of rowing in addition to a higher level of understanding of how science applies to rowing.
No experience is required. Participants have the opportunity to join the competitive team or the recreational gROWth program in the Fall upon completion of a camp.
Where & When? All weekly camps run Monday through Friday 5:30-7:30pm. All camps are held in the River West Festival Park at the Tulsa Rowing Club Boathouse located at 715 W. 21st St., Tulsa.
How Much? The cost for your first week of camp is $125, payable in full at time of registration.
If this is not your first week of camp, the cost for this week is $75, payable in full at time of registration
- Masks must be worn on arrival and departure from the boathouse.
- Social distancing guidelines (6ft) will be enforced.
- Athlete temperatures will be taken on arrival. Any athlete with a temperature greater than 99.5 will not be allowed to participate.
- All participants must complete the on-line US Rowing Waiver (see instructions under Download Forms).
- All athletes will be assigned a Concept 2 erg that they will use for the entirety of the camp. No sharing ergs or water bottles will be allowed.
- A Summer Camp Informational Packet is available under Download Forms.
- All participants should dress appropriately (Athletic shoes and clothing are recommended for each day, long and baggy shorts are not recommended as they may get caught in equipment gear).
- All participants should bring a full water bottle and sunscreen, athletes that arrive without water will not be allowed to participate.
Cost: $125 for 1 week of instruction, $75 for additional camps per week.
The club has worked extremely hard to build a program that provides the opportunity for the youth of Tulsa to participate in the sport of rowing. The club is a supportive, yet challenging environment for student athletes from many schools across the region to come together and represent the city of Tulsa. The sport of rowing is a fun and rewarding discipline that teaches the value of hard work, teamwork, perseverance and mental resilience.
For more information about the TYRA program please contact club president Stephanie Reynolds at 918 520 3366 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.