The app works with the Concept2 rowing machine equipped with a PM5 monitor.
The Rowing STEM app allows outreach programs and rowing clubs the chance to provide learning experiences to help develop and reinforce science and mathematical concepts in relation to rowing. Data collection functionality allows for quick and easy export to a Comma Separated Values file to email, text or airdrop to other devices and programs. As a result, students involved in our outreach initiatives have a platform for many types of investigations relating to our STEM initiatives.
Data Collection Features
- Stroke Number
- Time Elapsed (Seconds)
- Distance (Meters)
- Stroke Rate (Strokes/Minute)
- 500m Split (seconds)
- Power per stroke (Watts)
- Heart Rate (Beats Per Minute) * User needs a heart rate monitor belt for this functionality
- Peak Force (Newtons)
- Average Drive Force (Newtons)
- Drive Length (Meters)
- Drive Time (seconds)
- Derived: percentage of stroke complete when peak force is reached
- Derived: Impulse (Average force x time)
- Derived: Work Per Stroke (Joules)
- Derived: Stroke Speed (Meters/Second)
- Force Curve Points for each force curve. (disclaimer, these points are not absolute points. However, the data points are relative to each other for analysis of the overall shape of the force curve)
A CSV file stores all of the metrics captured by the app. As a result, the app can export the generated file via various forms of transmission (text, email, etc..)
How Much Power Can You Create Lab Activity?
Students can synchronize the app to the PM5 monitor and receive real-time feedback on the type of electrical device they could power at their current level of power output in Watts. Therefore, students can learn about power in a fun and interactive manner.
Rowing STEM Curriculum Access
Access to the Rowing STEM curriculum in PDF format. As a result, the app can export lab activities in order to make hard copies.
The club hopes that the app will help spur future growth in RowingSTEM and that other outreach communities in the nation can also benefit from the work that TYRA has accomplished to get this point with our STEM program.
For more information on gROW Tulsa or if you are interested in helping support our efforts, please contact program director Neil Bergenroth at email@example.com.